Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tardy Food Blog

OK. I actually went to this place before the night clinic, but I totally forgot to blog about it. Some of the social workers were going out to lunch and they invited me along. Pastor Chao had a meeting with the other pastors, so I was like "Yeah, sure why not." At the last moment though, two of the social workers...which happened to be the two that I actually knew and talked to, were called away to do something else. I was like "GUH. I see awkwardness in my future!" It actually turned out pretty all right, and I made some new friends. And the food was AWESOME. :D Always a big fat plus in my book.

So they wanted to try this little hole-in-the-wall restaurant that opened a few months ago called "Xiao Xiao Jia Wu" which means...Little...something..House. :)

There are five meals to choose from and I was really in the mood for bread so I ordered the French Toast.

This starter salad was a pleasant surprise. I got to choose between He Feng (Japanese sweet/sour dressing) or Caesar dressing. Of course I went with the He Feng. Those little orange things in the corner? I initally thought they were radish...but they're chunks of SMOKED SALMON. DDD: OMGGGG. So good!

The set also came with your choice of iced tea, coffee, or juice. Of course, I went with the grapefruit juice. Mmm. Look at those THICK slices of bread. The bread was coated with just the right amount of powdered sugar and maple syrup. It also came with mango and boysenberry jam. I wasn't really a fan of either though. They were too sweet. I just really wanted some bread. hahaha. The fresh fruit on the side included guava, pineapple, and watermelon.
Dong Mei Aiyi was eyeing my toast, so I offered her a slice. In return, she gave me one of her mini-pizzas. I thought the pizzas were going to be gross and American, but these pizzas had squid, olives, and prosciutto on them. Also, instead of tomato sauce, they were topped with mango/tomato/red onion salsa. Mmmmm. Did not regret that trade at all.

Yeah, lunch was absolutely scrumptious. The whole set was only 150 NT, about $5. I was already getting my money out when Chu Hong Jie informed me that Cai Hui Aiyi (one of the ones who couldn't make it) had already paid for me. I'm like "WHAT."

grr. I stormed back to Death Floor but I got totally shut down. I made her promise to let me treat her to something in the future. haha.

Oooh, Drama in the Holistic Care Department. Drama with a capital D. haha. The other social worker who couldn't make it, Ya Wen Jie, I may have mentioned her before but she's new. The patients love her because she has the energy of a girl half her age (She's 28.) However, Ya Wen sometimes oversleeps and twice now has been late to work. She couldn't come to lunch because at the last moment, she was called away by a case. Several weeks ago, she had asked to have the afternoon of this particular day off because she had a Flower Arrangement Class. When Dong Mei Jie (the Head of the Social Worker Department) asked her if she was still taking the day off, she was adamant that she would. I mean, I can see it from both views. You have a worker who comes late and takes days off. However, Ya Wen works hard and she did request the break several weeks in advance. Anyways, at the dinner, Dong Mei Jie hinted that Ya Wen might not be working with them any longer.

On Friday, when I came back from the overnight clinic, Ya Wen looked like she was in a bad mood. That morning, Dong Mei Jie had given her her two week notice. Oooooh, snap. I liked her a lot too! She was more down-to-earth and approachable than anyone else in that department. A damn shame. ):


Anyways, today was a good Saturday. Woke up late and went to a dim sum buffet. 300 NT for unlimited dim sum. Good deal. Again, I never saw hide or hair of the bill. ): I didn't get to take pictures either, but the restaurant was in a fancy hotel, complete with waterfall in the back. I didn't eat as much as I could have because I didn't want to be judged, but that is perhaps a good thing. hahaha. Still very full and satisfied.

I might go eat dinner with Grandpa again tonight. Not sure yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment