Friday, June 24, 2011

Lied To All My Life

Yesterday, we went to go buy some "xiao cai", little plates of food, for dinner. There was some pretty standard fare -- pig ear, seaweed, soy sauce eggs, chicken gizzard, liver, etc. -- but there was this one item that completely stumped me. I had no choice but to ask Pastor Chao.

"Mei Yu Chuan Dao...what's that?"
"Pig tail."
"No. Those can't be pig tails. Those are straight."
Pastor Chao and the store owner: "..."
"WAHAHAHAHAHA"

Apparently, we've been lied to all our lives. Contrary to cartoon depiction, pigs have STRAIGHT tails!! D: They are NOT curly, I repeat, NOT CURLY. The deception in our society! Outrageous! Next thing you know, they're going to tell me that cows aren't actually black and white or that the tasmanian devil doesn't actually turn into a tornado. BLASPHEMY.

I think the child inside of me died a little.


ALSO. There are two pregnant ladies at Mennonite Hospital and I've been praying for some time now that I will be around when they give birth. Why? So I can see what happens to the mother's stomach after the ejection. I've always imagined that the mom's stomach magically goes back to normal flatness plus/minus some serious stretch marks. Today, one of the ladies started getting contractions. When I shared my life-long desire with Pastor Chao, she laughed at me...again. Apparently, the stomach slowly returns to normal size. The bump doesn't magically disappear. I'm SO disappointed. Still, I can't wait to see this lady when she's done. :D

1 comment: