Monday, June 27, 2011

Last Day at the Mennonite Hospital

This morning, I walk into the door of the Holistic Department and immediately, three people stand up in their cubicles and exclaim "She's here! She's come!" I'm like "Uhh...what the hell?" and I am whisked away to the conference room. (I'm being whisked a lot lately.) At first, Pastor Judy hands me the score to "Because He Lives" and says "Will you sing this for us?" I'm wanted to say "I'd rather not." but instead I said "Can I change the key?" After much discussion, it was established that we seen in very different ranges. haha. I have a tranny voice...they have Chinese opera voices. Not very compatible. Anyways, they ultimately decide to have me play the keyboard for them when they sing for the patients downstairs. I'm freaking out because I hate performing for the public without practicing, but before I know it, I'm crammed in the elevator with the keyboard, four associate pastors, and two pastors. Balls.

Things went pretty well, except for one minor mishap when I ended the song before it was actually over. A lot of "shit shit shit" and some one-handed playing while adjusting the volume went down. Then it turns out that Pastor Chao, who USUALLY plays the piano or sings for them, was just standing around "managing" the sound system. I was like "WHY AREN'T YOU DOING THIS??" She shrugs, "I forgot my uniform...upstairs" TURD. If she weren't taking me KTVing (karoaking) later today, I'd probably be pretty ticked off. haha.

OK, my task today is really just to deliver the thank-you letters I wrote for the people I spent the most time with.

Oh! Dude, God is totally forcing me to practice witnessing. First there was the testimony on Sunday. Then just now, Ya Wen found out that today is my last day. She insisted on treating me to some pearl tea. Conversation went something like this:

"TODAY'S YOUR LAST DAY?? NO ONE TOLD ME! I'M BUYING YOU PEARL TEA."
"Oh no, you don't have to."
"I INSIST."
"No, really--3Q milk tea, half sweetness, no ice. Thanks."

hahahahaha. No shame. 3Q milk tea turned out to be milk tea with ju ruo (jelly strips), coconut jelly, and red bean. Suprisingly good. Anyways, for some reason, she starts asking me really deep questions about the Christian faith. I know that she was given notice about a week ago, and that she was struggling with some things. All the more so because when she was hired two months ago, she wasn't a Christian. I think God really helped me in that conversation because at first, I was all like "Oh God, please don't let me say the wrong thing and turn her off religion forever. " but by the end, I was like sharing Bible verses. haha. Praise the Lord. I was afraid that she would bring up some questions that I couldn't answer, but things turned out all right. Ya Wen is a super caring girl. She's a social worker that is a social worker because she actually cares. It's not just a job for her. I really hope that whatever went down here doesn't change her passion for helping others.

But seriously, getting a lot of practice for missions. Less than 24 hours now!

No comments:

Post a Comment