Monday, August 3, 2009

ADVENT Memories

It's time again to reminisce about ADVENT. Prepare yourselves for a long one, folks.


Where to begin? Well, as in most cases, I think the beginning would be best. The very beginning. Remember Advent training guys? Yeah, the three torturous days that took place before we were thrown into the gladiator arena? Didn't you wish you were back there after the kids sank their teeth in and latched on? Thank God for the point system. haha

Orientation Memories:

1.) I roomed with Amy, Jojo, Tammy, and Snoopy Aiyi. Good times! Freaking Jojo and standing me up for shaving parties. ): Amy and I had to taste the Taiwanese dirt for ourselves, so we slept on the floor while everyone else slept on mattresses. Let me just say, those Advent pillows are pretty darn comfortable.

2.) Jojo's Blonde moments - "You mean cooking chefs?", "Oh cool, they have a swimming pool!", "Well, I'm 25 哲!" I think these decreased in number after the first week. I was actually kind of sad about that. ):

3.) The Elevator - The boys ran down the stairs to press the button on every floor to suprise the girls in the elevator. Stupid boys. I hope you guys were really tired after running down those stairs. By the third time the door opened, we were like "FREAKING BOYS." And how many times to Team A and Team B race upstairs to get home before the other? -sigh- Team rivalry. In the end, we merged into one anyways. Everyone wins.

4.) Daniel's Meetings/Laptop - I must admit, I did not have a nosebleed. (Sorry, Jesus) I was just stalling so I could shower before the meeting. :X And what a meeting! Daniel with his scary secretarial skills. Then, Amy's face when he called on her to lead a prayer group was priceless. Oh, the horror. Classic. Then my secret inadequate prayer skills were unveiled in a neverending round of popcorn prayer. -shudder- Who invents these things?

5.) Rally Prep - Andrew spazzing during Pastor Chang's lame joke. (Can anyone remember what it was?) Andrew spazzing during the "OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, Hey!" thing. Andrew spazzing in general.

6.) Classroom Prep - Torturing the people who went ahead of us. Nick = 怪叔叔. Preparing to abuse Daniel, only to be shut down by the Tap System. Guh, I was so disappointed. I was cockblocked by a tap to the shoulder. D:

7.) The Buddy System - We all had a buddy to prevent losing people while squeezing onto the automatic MRT system. 20 seconds goes by quickly when you have to load 10+ people and their luggage. Daniel being ditched by his 6 person buddy group.

8.) Registration - This should really be number one, but I'm too lazy to switch up my numbers. Amy and I sat at the registration desk, trying to persuade people to take large T-shirts because there were too many. Then, we watched as Pastor Chang slowly (slooooowly) checked people in. The best part was Yummy's (Yoomy) face when Pastor Chang was like "YUMMY! That's the best name on this list! We've been waiting for you, Yummy!" Wahahaha!

9.) Animal farm - "I'm not playing", "Man.", "Mary!", "Macho Man." I really hate this game.

10.) King of Hearts - "It's OK! We don't need Jesus!" Nick Ho disappearing and getting Daniel as a replacement. Awkward hugs and fake smiles. Laughing at the scary Korean guy. Laughing at Samuel Jackson Jesus. Doing it over and over again.


I think it's really interesting to go back and see how we interacted when we didn't really know each other. Team A and Team B were totally separated. I never really got to know you guys until end of second week and, more intimately, the third week. You guys turned out to be all right...but Team A is still better. >:]


Week One: Changhwa Memories

Changhwa is perhaps as good as it gets. Eileen Aiyi and her husband are the most loving hosts anyone could ever ask for. Their kids (Anna, Joshua, and...umm...one more. heh.)are so cute! Their house is basically a humongous Stairmaster 5000.

1.) Getting Sick - All I remember is taking a nap and waking up in hell. I felt like total crap the moment my eyes opened. The hosts managed to persuade us to go to the doctors. Amy got like 5 pills and I got 3. heh. I remember walking through the doors of the doctor and feeling miraculously better. Everyone else was hacking and dying while I was like "Wheeee!" Ray and I tried to convince the others that we were injected with a happy drug. I paid for it the next day. I woke up and almost toppled off the stairs as I was heading down for the shower. As it turned out, I had a fever. If 臭豆腐教練seemed crazier than normal, it's because she was on crack! haha. It was a hardcore day. >:] I had to surrender by the afternoon, but I'm rather proud of myself for making it through the morning class. Thanks Amy and Daniel for splitting my class. (: SIN!

2.) Getting prayed for - Their prayer is always so powerful. I always end up bawling over something or another. I feel a little silly afterwards, but it's always like a gigantic weight has been lifted off my chest. Unlike last year, the prayer this year was volunteer-based. As I was laying down to sleep, Amy turns to me and says "I think you should go. Or else you're going to regret it for a long time." Best advice ever. Thanks, Amers.

3.) Point System - At the all-girl school, Amy and I came up with the point system for our male teachers. I could see the teachers become meat in the girls' eyes. A little intimidating, very demeaning. I did not get any lesbian action at all. ): There I am, cracking jokes for my life, and I get nothing. Daniel just speaks into the microphone and, all of a sudden, girls are swooning left and right. Then he busts out his guitar. (Boop boopboop!) Show-off. Humph.

4.) Leaving Members Behind - We forgot Ben and Austin at the afternoon school. Best part was, Austin's mom didn't even notice. >< We were all eating dinner when Eileen Ai-yi got a very...alarming phone call. hahaha.

5.) Wake-up Call - I don't know how they did it, but Jackie and Jojo got all the boys to sing for us. Barbie Girl, Aladdin, Jolo's solo. My personal favorite was I Want It That Way. (: When the opening notes wafted through our door and into our hearts, I think I cried a little.

6.) Advent of Tim. 'Nuff said.

7.) King of Hearts - Tranny Buddha. Good times

8.) Skit - This was the week we actually had to make up the skit. ): It was tough staying on track (or awake, in Ray and Jonathon's case), but we managed. John the Bad Boy was born! Wahahaha. I must admit, Team B's skit could almost compare with ours. >:]

9.) Food - The Changhwa church prepared bountiful feasts for our meals. It looked so good. Mmm. My favorite was the ginger chicken soup. I could really go for some right now. Oh! John was eating noodles and I caught him mid-gobble. "Woah. O.o" "Mmph." "Aaaand that is how you make someone feel awkward." haha

Quotes:
"I'll bend my body." -Daniel
"Cathy, you are my one true love. When I see your eye..." -Tim


OK. I am le tired. And that was only the first week. Feel free to add stuff I may have forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment