Monday, August 13, 2012

Diseased

I am bed-ridden with disease. Except not really. Because I only get free WiFi (hijacked from the Public Health house next door) in certain parts of the room, I am strategically lying on the floor.  Anyways, I've completely failed at being a committed blogger. I really tried. The first night, I had a monstrous migraine. It was so bad, I couldn't focus on the last 15 minutes of my Korean drama. When a migraine messes with my bad romcom fix?...it's bad. The second day, I spent the entire afternoon at Charm City Clinic (which is awesome! More on that later...), went to dinner with friends, and spent the evening with Chumin strategizing for our next FULL day of shopping. I still can't believe the Towson mall only opens from 12-6PM on Sunday. Probably better that way, because I would be a lot more than $100 poorer right now. Tax free week, yo!

Another large part of why I probably would suck at blogging every day....not much happens to me. Certainly not enough to blog about: "Today I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Except I used mocha hazelnut spread instead of peanut butter. Ho ho, I am so whimsical! It was much more delicious than yesterday's sandwich. I think I will make my sandwiches this way in the future." 

...Really. Who wants to read that? Not me two years from now, wondering what I was like in my youth/pre-Med school. I still remember opening the time capsule that our third grade teacher Ms. Jones sent us when we graduated from high school. Third-grade Abby had written, "You were cool once, Abby. Remember that." Hurtful words, third-grade Abby. Hurtful words.

Just woke up from a five-hour nap and have resigned myself to being severely jet-lagged in the morning.Then I thought, hey, my best essays have been written in the wee hours of the morning, I should blog now while my creative juices are...fermenting. How does that expression go?

So yes, I have been contemplating on different topics to write about. I need to practice expressing and defending my opinions on a variety of topics to get in shape for the MCAT Writing Sample. While ruminating over this in the shower, the realization struck me. I have no opinions. I feel apathetic, or at most, ambivalent, about most issues. I've been marinating in a culture of tolerance for so long, it takes a lot to stir me to scream RIGHT or WRONG. I mean, I used to feel strongly about people who smoked. Then a bunch of my friends took up smoking (or revealed that they, in fact, have been smoking all along), and I discovered it wasn't the end of the world. I still love my friends and far be it from me to make them feel uncomfortable doing something that, to them, is part of a daily ritual. At the same time, my friends respect me and, even though they don't have to, go out of their way to make sure I'm not exposed to any second-hand smoke inhalation. Drugs? Well, pick your poison.  Alcohol? Yes, please. You see, I'm just too emotionally unattached to express disapproval or preach about any of these issues. I believe that each individual should be able to make their own choices and not have to take other people's preferences into consideration, especially if the aforementioned others won't even be impacted by these life decisions.

Still, I don't think "I politely decline to take sides on this issue" is going to fly on my MCAT.

I've been brushing up, trying to read some Op/Ed articles, research journals, ethical debates, etc., not just for the MCAT, but so that in the future I'll have more to contribute in a conversation with my superiors than "Awesome." "That's cool!" Or the worst offender, "Niiiiice." Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Ok. I should probably try to get some more sleep. Work tomorrow. :\ I literally got paid $9 this morning for standing around and having an hour-long conversation about irrational parental worries with my  boss and the psychiatrist on staff.  Best job ever.





No comments:

Post a Comment