Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Braaaains

Got to stand in on my first brain cutting today. It was actually really anti-climactic because the doctor didn't really bother to explain anything and just started slicing away at the brain like it was a loaf of bread. She's all like "Oh, well obvious degeneration in the hypothalamus there." and I'm like "WHERE. THIS WHITE BLOB OR THAT ONE OVER THERE?" Internally, of course. Externally, I am all calm and composed and "Mmhmm"-ing like a boss. (Literally. That's what my boss was doing.)

Still, pretty awesome to see a brain for the first time. Can't wait for Neuro Lab. It was hard to comprehend that I was staring at something that was inside someone's head and functioning just two weeks ago, that the matted net of blood vessels that the MD was yanking away from the cortex once fed thoughts, emotions, and philosophical tangents. Crazy. Definitely not the same emotional/psychological impact as seeing someone's head splayed open on the table, or even an arm or leg being clinically dissected on the slab. It looked like...foie gras, especially when she was laying into it with that large knife. Whooo-ee.

Anyways, that was fun. Then, because we had to wear lab coats to the cutting, my boss was like "Hey, we should get you one!" and I was like "That would be splendid." while I did internal cartwheels of joy. Ordered one with my name on it and everything. :D SO MUCH HAPPINESS. I feel like I finally get to play doctor for real now. Simple pleasures in life, sigh.

THEN, my boss is like, "Today is Tuesday right? JALAPENO POPPERS." I was like "What sorcery is this?" and she takes me to the food truck, Grr Che, outside of the book store. No lie, that was an amazing grilled cheese sandwich. Jalapeno peppers, cream cheese, pepper jack, and bacon grilled between sourdough. Mmmm. The hint of spice was just what I needed to clear up my sinuses. Yeah, it was $7.50, but once a week...I think my pocket...and my waistline can handle that.

Just went to the gym. Spent a good two minutes debating what to do once I got there. Man, I be out of shape! Time to get on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment