Monday, September 6, 2010

First Job Interview

I went in for my first job interview today EVER. I've had interviews for board positions and colleges before, but this seemed like something different and more momentous. Sadly, this interview was much less dramatic than the ones I've had before. For one, it only lasted twenty minutes... Sadder still, it wasn't even for a job I really want.

I was supposed to go to Annapolis today, but they called me up for an interview yesterday night. The plan was to leave at 9:45 AM and come back around 4PM, spending the day touring our new state's capital. As it turns out, no one woke up until around 12 PM, so I don't even think we ended up going. I saw my RA walking around outside the AMRs at 1 PM...I think it's safe to assume the trip was indefinitely postponed. We suck. :)

I applied for a position at the JHU Phonathon during the Student Job Fair. My job would be to call up alumni and ask for donations. Basically...I would be a telemarketer. The interviewer, Jaime, was very friendly. Her presence totally put me at ease...until she started whipping out the Questions from Hell.

1.) What about JHU would you use to convince an alumni to give?
2.) How to you respond to criticism that you know is not true?
3.) You have thirty seconds. Sell me this pen.
4.) What is the worst movie you have ever seen? Now convince me to watch it.

I don't think I did that great. To be honest, I think I sucked. I'm still not sure I should work during my freshman year, and I kind of wanted a job in my field (Neuroscience). I applied online to a Office Assistant position in the Neurosci department and I'm still waiting to hear back from them. But whatever. The Phonathon job pays $10.75 an hour and isn't federal work study. I need the money. Tuition's a bitch. I kind of want the job just to get some experience in the formal workplace. I'm just chilling now, knowing I've done my best and leaving the rest to God. Let's see where He leads me.

Now I'm studying in the library with my friends. Or, they're studying, I'm blogging. hee. I feel half asleep right now so my blog is less coherent than it usually is. (Which is saying something.) I think I'm starting to get into the rhythm of things...but this damn Labor Day weekend screwed me over again. haha. Frat parties are lame. Just sayin'

Can't wait to hear from those who have yet to start this new breed of torture!

1.) How would you c


No comments:

Post a Comment