Thursday, February 17, 2011

Good Week

It's been a good week. Well, the last two days anyways. Yesterday, I found out that I made it into the Rogers Housing. Things were looking a bit drama, what with roommate dilemma, price, meal plan, etc. Rogers House was the most ideal circumstance. I've been praying about it almost nightly, asking God to place me somewhere I can grow, learn, thrive, etc. Not only did he bless me with Rogers House, but I also got lotter number ONE. NUMBER ONE. GOD IS GREAT. Living in Rogers House means I get the cheapest housing (around 7000 for the whole year, including Thanksgiving Break) AND a single. I forgot what privacy felt like. I'm not forced to buy a meal plan, which saves me another $1000 or so on the price of food. I hope this doesn't mean I become a hermit. My sister and I are already making plans where she'll come and stay with me (AND SLEEP ON THE FLOOR. mehehehehe) As for the drama with a roommate, the friend that I was concerned about also got into Rogers Housing, so I don't have to worry about leaving her in the lurch. Everything worked out. Again, my God is an AWESOME God. (That just got a song stuck in my head.)

Thursdays are usually a light day at the lab. I hang out with Tony and Brian in the lab, observing them if they have subjects, chatting them up if no one's scheduled. Tony's 9 o'clock didn't show, so he gave me free license to use the internet and be generally unproductive. I made a brief attempt to be good by doing the Cog Neuro reading. FUNNIEST SHIT EVER. Here's an excerpt:

"When a male octopus spots a female, his normally grayish body
suddenly becomes striped. He swims above the female and begins
caressing her with seven of his arms. If she allows this, he will
quickly reach toward her and slip his eighth arm into her breathing
tube. A series of sperm packets moves slowly through a groove in
his arm, finally to slip into the mantle cavity of the female.

When Dixie opens the door to Tad, she is stunned, because she
thought he was dead. She slams it in his face and then tries to escape.
However, when Tad says, “I love you,” she lets him in. Tad
comforts her, and they become passionate. When Brian interrupts,
Dixie tells a stunned Tad that she and Brian were married earlier
that day. With much difficulty, Dixie informs Brian that things are^
nowhere near finished between her and Tad. Then she spills the
news that Jamie is Tad’s son. “My what?” says a shocked Tad.

Think about what these words have done. I did not simply remind
you of octopuses; in the unlikely event that you ever see one develop
stripes, you now know what will happen next. You now share with millions of other
people the secrets of protagonists in a world that is the product of
some stranger’s imagination, the daytime drama All My Children.
True, my demonstrations depended on our ability to read and write,
and this makes our communication even more impressive by bridging
gaps of time, space, and acquaintanceship."

-The Language Instinct: Chapter 1, Pinker

I laughed out loud.

Just as I was about to start taking notes, Adobe crashes, and try as I might, nothing would get that PDF to open again. There goes productivity. Instead, I started doing a crossword. haha. The lab meeting let out early. Professor Yantis signed the IRB consent forms so, hopefully, in a few days I'll start running subjects on my own. Exciting. I'll update when that happens.

Anways, I return to my room in a relatively elevated mood. Open the door, expecting my roommate to still be asleep. (She has no class on Thursdays). As I walk in, in my periphery, I notice that there is not one, but TWO pale bodies intwined under the blanket. What. the. HELL. My EYES. Awkwardness ensued as I began to apologize profusely, grab my laptop and backpack, and peace out. Apparently, they were just "making out without shirts on", but I don't think I'll be able to look my roommate in the eye for a while. I found the whole situation hilarious. I'm afraid if I see her again too soon, I'll burst into hysterical laughter, ruining our friendship forever. We're surprisingly chill about it though. Lesson learned: Always knock. Even if you're letting yourself into your own room.

Lab later today. We're doing electrolysis. Hope it turns out well. I hope it's going to be a tedious enterprise, checking the solution every thirty seconds for thirty minutes. I can't wait.










1 comment: