Monday, June 28, 2010

Pre-Trip Jitters

I am on my period.

I am still undecided as to whether it is an omen or a blessing in disguise. On one hand, I'll be stuck on an airplane, in the window seat, with two people between me and the bathroom. It's a philosophical conundrum every time. Do I have them the ass or the crotch? (Sigh, I love Chuck Palahniuk.) On the other hand, this means I'll be spending the three weeks of mission-time period free, with no risk of suddenly transforming into a frightening dragon lady with no chocolate or Tylenol in sight. Thank God.

I leave for the airport in about an hour. More precisely, I will be going to Milpitas to board the bus that will take me to the airport. haha. I'm not even sure what time my plane is leaving. All I know is I'm supposed to meet the Pastor at the Check-in counter. Let's hope things go according to plan.

I spent last night texting back and forth with my sister while she was on the bus. Now it's my turn, but alas, none of my parents can text worth a damn. Luckily, I'll have Eric with me to make awkward conversation. yaaay.

It looks like this will be my third and last year with ADVENT. After college starts, I'll probably have to start looking for internships and research opportunities. (sigh) I'm a little bit nervous about this year because, as Andrew says, my expectations are high. ADVENT's never disappointed before. More importantly, I'm afraid that I will be so focused on having fun that I will lose sight of the objective of the mission - evangelizing. It's hard work, waking up every morning at six and staying up until twelve or later preparing for the next day's lesson. Things are so different this year, with staying in Zhanghua for two weeks instead of one, and being under Pastor Doris instead of Pastor Chang. I am the kind of person that chafes under the authority of those I do not respect. I pray that God will humble me and show me every person's merits and strengths so that I will not be blinded by my own prejudice.

Another thing, I know most of the people going this year. Usually, ADVENT is an opportunity to meet and mesh with a group of strangers. This year, so many veterans are going, I'm pretty sure that new people will be in the minority. I hope to God that we won't be clique-y. In fact, I will make it my personal mission to prevent this from happening. I WILL KILL THE AWKWARD TURTLE IN THE ROOM.

I just ask for a lot of prayer. I'm sure I'll need it. I know I'm weak, but I also know that I can do great things through Him. I'll be praying and working feverishly to help make this year a success.

May God's harvest be bountiful! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment