Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Phucking Physics

Physics is driving me crazy bat shit. No joke. I guess I'm a little of the hook now because I know it's not necessary for college, but still, Senioritis can only go so far against Asian standards. I want to understand this material, I want to actually comprehend what's going on, but Mr. Briber is making it very damn difficult. On the bright side, I'll be taking physics again in college. Hopefully, it'll all make more sense then.

We have another test tomorrow. This comes about two weeks after the last one, where I literally turned in a blank test. I know he goes over example problems during class, but that's all that they are, EXAMPLE PROBLEMS. Where are the lectures? Example problems are supposed to supplement the content of each lecture. I don't even know where he's pulling all these equations out of. Also, it doesn't inspire much confidence when he says "Oops. I guess I made another mistake. You guys are so smart." We're not supposed to be teaching him. I mean, it's perfectly OK for us to offer suggestions about his teaching methods/style, but the situation must be pretty dire if we're constantly pointing out mistakes in his calculations.

At the same time, I sympathize for the guy. He's in way over his head. His first year teaching AP Physics C, with no mentor to help him along the way. We're a pretty intimidating class. Still, we've offered enough feedback to start our own curriculum. We've told him what we wanted, he has yet to deliver. It's now the end of the year. Less than three weeks until the AP test. Where are we now? No further than where we started in the beginning of September.

I know I could be doing a lot more in the class. I could be supplementing my wasted class time with hours self-studying from the textbook. I swear that textbook was intentionally written in a language only geeks can understand. Geekret Code. In fact, it would probably be more helpful if each student brought in his or her own textbook, read it individually during class, and asked questions as they arose. That's how much help Mr. Briber is. I'm pretty sure he can clarify and interpret fundamental principles of physics, but when it comes to math, he's shit. Then again, I have no right no complain, my math skills are downright pathetic. Still, a teacher is a teacher, a student is a student. Standards are different but no less demanding.

It's hard to keep up your grade when he assigns endless assignments that he has not equipped you to do. There's only so much you can make up with extra credit. I feel like I'm buying my A in that class. Unacceptable. The homework problems are Greek to me. The labs are Klingon. I know that I should go in outside of class to seek explanations, but I'm reluctant to waste anymore time on this Black Hole excuse of a class. Also, if I asked for math help, is he competent enough to supply it? How can I trust his answers when it has become second nature to doubt everything that comes out of his mouth? "He's been wrong before...Should I just ask Copes?" What kind of teacher-student relationship is that? I

I used to like Physics. I still do. I just hate this class.


1 comment: