Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Hola Desde Costa Rica!

Miracles of miracles, I have made it to Costa Rica!

This was a trip I've been planning since May but there was no guarantee it would actually happen until literally the day before my flight. First, I had to gain approval from Stanford by convincing them it would benefit my clinical practice and that it was something I couldn't do in the United States. Second, I had to make sure they wouldn't suspend my salary since I wasn't doing anything clinical for a month. And, perhaps the biggest obstacle of all, I had to renew my passport...

Three weeks before my flight, tickets booked and everything, my sister came downstairs with my passport in hand and asked me: "Are you aware your passport expires in two days?"

Um, no? I haven't looked at my passport in almost two years thanks to this COVID nightmare. Shit.

Before COVID, you could get your passport renewed in 6 weeks and expedited in 2. Now in this pandemic-induced dystopia, the wait time looks more like 18 weeks and 12. Nuts. After much frenzied internet research, it turns out that you can call the passport agency (>1 hour hold time) 2 weeks before your set travel day and try to book an in-person appointment for within 72 hours of your flight departure time. After a cumulative 3 hours spent on the phone, I finally snagged an appointment day on the Friday morning before my flight out Saturday night. For two weeks, I agonized over whether I would be able to walk out with my passport on the same day or if there would be another unforeseen delay that would cancel my trip. But come Friday, praise Him, I walked in to the San Francisco passport agency with my hopes (and important documents) in hand, and walked out at 3:30pm with a freshly minted passport! 

I'm so grateful for the encouragement and support from Uram, family, and friends. If Amy hadn't realized that my passport was expired, I would not have even looked at my passport until the day of travel. Uram literally waited on hold with me for over an hour as I stressed over whether I would be able to reserve a coveted appointment. He also woke up at 6 AM to drive this bundle of stress to the passport agency. Multiple friends offered words of encouragement and reassurance that it wouldn't be no thang and I would get my passport, no problem. Thank you all again for keeping my neuroses in check. 

I wasn't aware I've been holding my figurative breath for months until I felt the wave of relief wash over me the moment I saw someone waiting at the airport terminal with my name on a giant sign. This is finally happening, I did it, I'm going to study Spanish for a month in Costa Rica! 

The experience is already better than I anticipated. I love my familia tica -- Papa Reynor is a forensic pathologist (I KNOW, I WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING), but also maybe a mortician? Mama Lili can't really cook but makes up for it with enthusiasm, lol. Their older son Armando will shyly correct our broken Spanish but unabashedly walk around the house shirtless. Their younger son Fabian is a genius and likely future Olympian, equally speedy at the Rubik's cube and on the track. The moment I brought chocolate into their home, I was a welcome guest. (I have never seen anyone destroy a bag of Ghiradelli so quickly.) From the very first day, they urged me to treat their home "como su casa". I am also blessed to have another American student in the house, Mia. An English teacher from Indiana, her Spanish is so, so much better than mine and it's a lifesaver when I'm trying to express more complex thoughts to my host family. It's also nice to have someone to decompress with at the end of the day and keep me accountable for studying Spanish in the evenings. 

I originally signed up for a group class with 1 hour of private lessons in Medical Spanish. The group classes are split up by Spanish level and I was fortunate enough to be placed in a class by myself. (The assessment of my Spanish level was "Basic...pero no es cero.") My teacher Samuel is from Peru and I LOVE HIM. Our conversations always somehow veer off course from vocabulary and conjugation to a range of modern day topics like new abortion laws in Texas or the broken American education system. He patiently waits as I try to Google translate new vocabulary and gently corrects my atrocious grammar/conjugation. If any of y'all looking for an awesome Spanish teacher, he teaches remotely on the DL! 

Anyways, can't wait to see what else Costa Rica has in store for me! I already have a map drawn up of all the places I want to eat...not sure if I'm going to succeed in losing weight here as I originally planned... 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment