Saturday, July 3, 2010

Taiwan Blog: 07/03

Today was the last day of boot camp/training. That's the last time I'll ever have to stay up until 11:30 PM waiting for the shower. Ha. Not. Three more weeks to go. (sigh)

We escaped from training at 6:30PM and rushed home to change into shorts. We were forced to wear our jeans and ADVENT t-shirts today for the group picture. Despite the early release, Pastor Chang managed to kill it for us all when he gleefully informed us that we would need to be ready to leave the house at 7 AM. Bloody Hell. That means we have to wake up at 6 AM and be at the church, with some semblance of consciousness , at 8AM. Happy Sunday to you. On the bright side, we may also be taking a mini-tour of the city. The bright side may dim considerably if we have to take this journey in our jeans. I was appalled when I took off my jeans and found patches of sweat all over my derriere. Keep in mind, this was around 8:30 at night. I was SWEATING at 8:30 at NIGHT. Taiwan is clearly not a place fit for human inhabitance.

Ok. Update. Daniel, who obviously has never taken the quote "Ill news is an ill guest." to heart, has just informed us that we must wear jeans to church. With a smile on his face. He's just not human.

Despite these "minor" annoyances, we managed to have some fun today. During training, we played a series of pranks. With the help of at least 8 people, we managed to keep Daniel running around the pews to answer our "questions".

"Daniel! Daniel! Wait...never mind."
"Daniel! Daniel! Wait...I found it."
"Daniel! Daniel! Heh. Nothing."

It would have worked out a lot better if people with real questions hadn't continually butted in. heh.

Then, Eric and I sent what we thought were anonymous texts to Daniel.

"I believe in miracles since you came along, you sexy thing."

Turns out, Eric forgot that he had already given Daniel his number. Awkward winking ensued.

As a special Saturday treat, the church people dropped us off at the night market and let us roam free for an hour. I was bitterly disappointed. The papaya milk I purchased tasted like the vendor had forgotten to add sugar (or high fructose corn syrup, as it were) and I was left chewing the chunks of papaya that had settled on the bottom of my cup. Undeterred, I later bought an order of O A Jian which is a traditional Taiwanese night market food that resembles an oyster pancake. Again, major disappointment. The sauce tasted like nothing. The cake itself was burnt. I couldn't be sure if the bitter taste at the back of my mouth was a consequence of the papaya milk and burnt oyster pancake, or if it was the taste of disillusionment and the death of Taiwanese night markets as I knew them. If I could, I would write a dramatic musical about this titled "A Taiwanese Tragedy: Part One". For shame.

Well, tomorrow seems promising. I'm finally starting to get to know the other team members. Let's just say, Canadians are not as retarded as we portray them. Out of 10 or so Canadian team members, only two have been heard to say "Eh?". Also, they don't drink maple syrup and ride moose to school. I am still waiting for one of them to say "oot and aboot". heh.

Sorry if the grammar and spelling is atrocious. I'm trying to summarize my harrowing experiences in less than 15 minutes on an unstable internet connection. So (KIMBERLY), let it go.

Still depending on your prayers! :D Night!

2 comments: